Make a healthier apple tart with this recipe for lighter and allergy-friendly Dairy Free Caramel Apple Pie – it’s gluten free and vegan!
Looking to save a few calories but still enjoy a little gooey sweetness now and then? Apple pie is a great dessert because it largely fruit-based, making it a sensible choice for people watching their calories – if you choose the right slice!
You really have to watch your pie: some apple pies (like this homemade caramel apple pie) can weigh in at over 600 calories per slice!
I decided to do a recipe make-over and create a healthy and simple version of a caramel apple pie that won’t break the calorie bank. This Caramel Apple Pie is whole-food based and is perfect for people on special diets.
Whether you are allergic to dairy, soy, or are a vegan, you can still enjoy this pie without the trans fats and white sugar in traditional apple pie. You can actually feel good about eating this Dairy Free Caramel Apple Pie!
This pie crust took some time to get right, but the work paid off! This crust tastes great and works nicely for many other recipes, such as homemade pop tarts. This crust is whole grain and because it is gluten-free, it won’t get tough if you over-work it like a traditional pie crust.
A rustic pie that is healthy and easy to make? Absolutely! Now that is a dessert you can really enjoy!
For more info about the calorie saving benefits of Silk Pure Almond Milk Unsweetened and more great recipes, check out Silk.com!
Dairy Free Caramel Apple Pie (Gluten Free)
- 3 cups sweet-tart apples cored and sliced thin (unpeeled)
- 3 Tablespoons Easy Caramel Sauce recipe below
- 1 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Easy Caramel Sauce for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Prepare the apple filling:
- Halve the apples, core, and slice thinly crosswise (across shorter side). Slice enough apples to make 3 cups
- Toss the apples with the ground cinnamon, and Easy Caramel Sauce until well coated. Set aside
- Prepare the crust:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, and salt
- In a small bowl, combine the Silk Pure Almond Unsweetened Vanilla and the ground flax seed and set aside for a couple minutes to allow to thicken
- Meanwhile, use a pastry cutter to cut the solid palm oil into the flour mixture until crumbly
- Add the flax gel to the flour mixture and stir until well combined and a stiff dough forms. You can add more almond milk 1 Tablespoon at a time if the mixture seems too dry
- Press the dough firmly together into a ball. Place between 2 sheets of parchment paper and roll out to about 1/4 inch thick
- Place the rolled dough onto a baking stone or parchment-lined baking sheet
- Add the apples to the center of the pie crust, leaving about 2-inches of space between the edge of the crust and the filling
- Fold the pie crust over the filling all around the pie, leaving some space in the center of the pie uncovered
- Bake on a baking stone or a parchment-lined baking sheet for about 40 minutes, until crust is lightly browned and the apples are tender
- Let the galette cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving
- Drizzle with Easy Caramel Sauce and enjoy!
Dairy Free Caramel Sauce
- ½ cup creamy almond butter or other nut butter
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup Silk Pure Almond Unsweetened Vanilla
- In a small bowl, combine ingredients and mix well until combined and smooth.
- You can add more or less milk depending on the consistency you want: add more milk if you want thinner sauce, less milk if you want thicker sauce!
Sarah Jane Parker is the founder, recipe creator, and photographer behind The Fit Cookie. She’s a food allergy mom and healthy living blogger based in Wyoming. Sarah is also an ACSM Certified Personal Trainer, ACE Certified Health Coach, Revolution Running certified running coach, and an ACE Certified Fitness Nutrition Specialist