Bake up some warm and gooey Chocolate Chip Blondies for your next dessert – they are gluten free, dairy free, and peanut free!
I tend to experiment a lot with my baking. I break some cooking rules, I change too many things at one time, and sometimes I have to cross my fingers when I make things! I have had my share of mistakes and inedible bricks, but sometimes mistakes can turn into something better (or at least different).
Today I had my heart set on making chocolate chip cookies, but with my first batch the batter was too thin. I didn’t want to waste my batter, so I poured it into a bar pan and made Chocolate Chip Blondies instead, which turned out delicious!
I still wanted chocolate chip cookies, so, I ventured to fix the recipe by making the batter less runny, but I had used up my chocolate chips with my first batch. I decided to forge ahead with the recipe and see what came of it.
The resulting recipe still didn’t have the soft texture I wanted and had no chocolate chips, but was still yummy and inspiring in it’s own way. Hence, Honey-Crisp Sandwich Cookies were born.
Eventually I will make my own delicious Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe. But for now, there will be 2 posts and 2 recipes courtesy of my baking blunders. The recipes are very similar, with small ingredient variations and baking methods for completely different results. Enjoy!
- 1.25 cup brown rice flour
- 2 Tablespoons ground chia seed or ground flaxseed
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup coconut oil or palm oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoons water or non-dairy milk of choice
- 1/2 cup allergy-friendly dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375˚ F. Oil a bar pan or an 8” x 8” pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, chia seed, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, with a hand blender cream together the oil, honey, and vanilla. Add in the water (or milk of choice) and mix again until well blended.
- Add in the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in 2 additions, blending well between each addition until mixed. Stir in the chocolate chips by hand.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden on top. Let bars cool completely before cutting or serving. Enjoy!