This Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cake is sweet, moist, and delicious! Plus it’s allergy-friendly, gluten-free, and vegan. Perfect!
So I’m a little behind the curve: September is already over and this is the first pumpkin recipe I’ve posted this season! This wasn’t really an accident, though. I put off pumpkin recipes for a little bit because, even though it’s totally awesome, pumpkin is a bit over-used. I actually tried a pumpkin spice latte this month for the first time and I wasn’t super impressed. Sorry PSL lovers! I think I’d like it better if I made it at home (idea for an upcoming blog post…).
But in spite of that, it still wouldn’t be fall around here without cooking up at least a few pumpkin spice recipes, so I made these delicious gluten-free and vegan Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cake with Maple Glaze. The pumpkin fairies would be pleased 😉
This recipe actually started out as a pumpkin blondie recipe, but I kept making them and tweaking the recipe to make it better and healthier and after 5 batches (over a couple of weeks) I ended up with a pumpkin cake.
Not exactly how I had planned, but it turned out delicious anyway! I think I will keep working on the blondie recipe to post soon since my first batch of those were pretty yummy, and it would be a crime not to share those with everyone.
In this cake, I used just a little bit of pumpkin pie spice mix, but if you are a hard-core pumpkin spice person then you can double the pumpkin spice in this cake for extra oomph.
This recipe is made with better ingredients, but it is still higher in sugar than some of my other recipes. If you’re watching calories and portion sizes, try cutting this cake into smaller pieces (like 12 bars instead of 9) to help with portion control. If you want less sugar, skip the glaze and eat the cake as-is, it’s still amazing!
The recipe for the maple glaze can be found with my recipe for my Mini Maple Donuts
Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cake (Gluten-Free and Vegan)
Gluten free and vegan
- 1 cup fine whole sorghum flour I use Authentic Foods brand OR fine brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup golden flaxseed meal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice double if you want more pie spice flavor
- 3/4 cup unbleached cane sugar
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup rice milk
- 1/4 cup mild cooking oil I use light-tasting olive oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- The maple glaze recipe can be found here
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line the bottom of an 8x8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper and set aside
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sorghum flour, flaxseed meal, salt, and pumpkin pie spice. Set aside
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together the sugar, pumpkin, oil, rice milk, and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir to combine
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes
- Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before slicing into and serving with a drizzle of maple glaze
Food allergy mom and healthy living blogger! Sarah is also an ACSM Certified Personal Trainer, ACE Certified Health Coach, and an ACE Certified Fitness Nutrition Specialist