Looking for a chocolatey brownie treat that won’t leave you with a stomach ache from food allergies? Make a batch of these One Bowl Vegan Fudge Brownies that are dairy free, gluten free, and made without thickeners
Some days recipes are just buggers…
Take these One Bowl Vegan Fudge Brownies as a prime example: I love experimenting in the kitchen but I often have to deal with crazy recipes-gone-very-wrong. I originally started re-doing my stand-by recipe, the Baker’s One-Bowl Brownies.
I have used this recipe forever and it is a reliable stand-by for making basic brownies. But I quickly learned that simply re-making this recipe with gluten-free flour wasn’t going to cut it.
Here’s what happened:
- Batch 1: too little flour and too much oil, ended up as molten brownie batter which cooled into a solid fudge. Very odd and quite delicious, but still not brownies.
- Batch 2: too much flour and still too much oil – ended up being like a crumbly super-dense chocolate shortbread. Again, yummy but not what I was aiming for.
- Batch 3: this batch actually turned out perfect! I completely scrapped the idea of re-doing the Baker’s One-Bowl recipe and just went with my gut this time.
These brownies are easy to make (almost fool-proof!) and are nice and crispy on the outside and gooey on the inside. If you prefer cakey-type brownies, then you will have to look for another recipe: these are fudgy inside!
I used granulated cane sugar in this recipe to give it that nice crust on top that I love so much, but you can use granulated coconut sugar here instead with similar results. It will just have that richer taste similar to using brown sugar.
And since I hate wasting gluten-free flour, I made a small batch and baked it in a 6-inch round cake pan. You can double the recipe and bake it in a 9×9-inch baking dish if you want more brownies, but you may have to bake a bit longer.
One Bowl Vegan Fudge Brownies (Gluten Free)
- 1/4 cup oil of choice I used safflower oil
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk of choice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup unbleached cane sugar
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup allergy-friendly dark chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare a small 6-inch cake pan by lining the bottom with parchment paper and greasing or spraying oil on the sides of the pan. Set pan aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil, non-dairy milk, vanilla, sugar, and ground flaxseed. Whisk in cocoa powder and salt.
- Stir in the brown rice flour until well mixed. This will form a very thick and sticky batter.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and spread out the batter.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 25 minutes or so.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before cutting and eating.
- If you prefer your brownies less gooey inside, then bake these a few minutes longer and let them cool completely before eating.
Food allergy mom and healthy living blogger! Sarah is also an ACSM Certified Personal Trainer, ACE Certified Health Coach, and an ACE Certified Fitness Nutrition Specialist