Get dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes with this incredibly easy recipe for Chili Lime Grilled Shrimp! This delicious and healthy summer main dish goes well with any BBQ side you love
One of the things I’ve noticed lately is that The Fit Cookie doesn’t have very many summer recipes, like salads, grilled recipes, etc. But I’m fixing that!
This spring and summer, we’re posting seasonal recipes that are perfect for warmer weather, starting with this Easy Chili Lime Grilled Shrimp Recipe!
Like I’ve mentioned in the past, I love easy recipes. That isn’t to say that I don’t like taking the time on good recipes, but if I can find ways to make shortcuts that work, I’ll take them.
That probably makes me a lazy cook, but I’m okay with that 😉
In the summer months, we grill nearly every day at our house, and I actually use the grill more than my husband does! Grilling isn’t just for men, women can grill, too, and be awesome at it.
We have a propane grill to make grilling easy. Charcoal grills might be tastier, but gas grilling is easy (no grill prep ahead besides heating the grill). I didn’t grill very much until we got a gas grill, and then it became easier and I now grill all the time, even on winter days when the weather is better.
How to grill shrimp
Prepare your shrimp by rinsing if needed, removing the tails and shells (if they are not already removed), and skewering onto metal skewers. like I’ve done in the photo below.
I use metal skewers because they are multi-use instead of disposable. Plus if you use bamboo skewers you generally have to soak them first, so metal skewers also removes an extra step from the prep process.
Make sure that you generously spray oil on your shrimp on each side. I forgot to spray both sides of the shrimp when I put them on the grill, and you can see on the grill where they stuck when I went to turn them (all the orange is from shrimp juice stuck to the grill).
Lesson learned: don’t forget to spray the shrimp!
You can use a natural spray oil without propellants, and this will also help to keep your grill cleaner (no impossibly sticky residue to clean off your grill). Spray oils with additives usually leave cook surfaces sticky.
I sprinkled on some chili lime seasoning (I got mine from Trader Joes) and garlic powder, sprayed with oil, then grilled only 2-3 minutes on each side. Unless your shrimp are humongous, you won’t need to cook them any longer than that (even then, your shimp won’t take much longer than 3-4 minutes on each side).
How to serve grilled shrimp
Once your chili lime shrimp has been cooked, you can remove it from the skewers and add it to anything you’d like!
You can serve this grilled shrimp with:
- Green salad
- Rice or cauliflower rice
- Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Quinoa
- Zoodles or noodles
- Garlic Roasted Rainbow Carrots
- Roasted or grilled potatoes
- Warm Garlic Herb Potato Salad
- Grilled veggies
- The sky’s the limit!
Tools you’ll need for this recipe:
- Metal skewers
- Charcoal or gas grill (we use a CharBroil Infrared grill at home)
- Grilling tongs
Easy Chili Lime Grilled Shrimp
- 2 pounds large raw shrimp (to make this recipe easier, I bought my shrimp already peeled with tail off)
- Chili lime seasoning blend (I used Trader Joe's)
- Garlic powder
- Natural spray oil
- Metal skewers
- Gas grill
- grill tongs
- Preheat your grill by turning it onto high heat for about 5-10 minutes to heat the grill and scrape the grill. Then turn down to medium heat.
- Prepare the shrimp by removing shell, tail, and mud vein (if this is not already done).
- Push shrimp onto the metal skewers (or soaked bamboo skewers if you're using bamboo ones) and fill up each skewer with shrimp. Make sure they are close together but not squished together.
- Sprinkle the chili lime seasoning and garlic powder on each side of the shrimp.
- Spray oil on each side of the shrimp.
- Grill on the preheated grill for 2-3 minutes on each side. Set a timer or watch them closely. It does not take long to cook raw shrimp, so make sure you don't forget about them or they'll be rubbery.
- Enjoy with your favorite side dish, like grilled corn, salad, etc.!
Sarah Jane Parker is the founder, recipe creator, and photographer behind The Fit Cookie. She’s a food allergy mom and healthy living blogger based in Wyoming. Sarah is also an ACSM Certified Personal Trainer, ACE Certified Health Coach, Revolution Running certified running coach, and an ACE Certified Fitness Nutrition Specialist
4 thoughts on “Easy Chili Lime Grilled Shrimp (Whole30)”
I love easy meals too. Especially in the summer! That chili lime seasoning blend looks amazing. Sounds like the perfect dinner, I’m going to try this soon 🙂
Thank you Jenna! That chili lime seasoning was a great find at Trader Joe’s, I need to check out more of their seasoning blends!
Looks so yummy! It would be a definite part of my next family barbecue.
Thank you Hailey!