Looking for a hearty salad or side dish that full of veggies and healthy grains? This Fresh Cilantro Lime Quinoa Salad is my gluten free take on tabouleh, and it’s allergy friendly!
As much as I love desserts, a healthy diet cannot be full of sweet treats all the time (bummer!). Healthy desserts are good sometimes, but the bulk of our “daily bread” so to speak should be whole foods, fruits and veggies, lean proteins, and healthy fats.
My commitment is to start posting more main dishes and side dishes that reflect this nutrition philosophy. The healthy desserts/baked goodies won’t stop, but I will be adding in more non-dessert recipes that can fit anyone’s healthy diet choices.
Besides, I love salads! I haven’t eaten much salad since winter started, but making up this hearty salad reminded me of how much I miss the tastes of summer.
Check out our other salad recipes:
- Classic Dairy Free Greek Salad
- Warm Garlic Herb Red Potato Salad
- Smoked Salmon Salad
- Thai Cucumber Chicken Salad
- Light and Zesty Shrimp Salad
- Paleo Basil Cashew Chicken Salad
- Strawberry Breakfast Salad
- Quick and Easy Avocado Chicken Salad
- Fresh Cilantro Lime Quinoa Salad
Cilantro Lime Salad with grilled chicken and sunflower seeds added
Fresh Cilantro Lime Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup diced jicama
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1 small tomato seeded and diced *
- 1/2 medium cucumber unpeeled, seeded, and diced (save seeds for dressing)
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves unpacked (about 1-2 Tablespoons minced)
- 1 stem green onions sliced (optional)
- Zest of 1 lime
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons seeds from cucumber
- Zest from 1 lime
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ground chia seed*
- 1/4 teaspoon Cajun spice
- 1/8 teaspoon chipotle powder
- Prepare quinoa according to package directions and allow to cool a bit.
- While the quinoa is cooling, chop your vegetables
- Mix together the quinoa, jicama, bell pepper, tomato, cucumber, cilantro, green onions, and lime zest until well blended. Add in 1/2 of the dressing recipe below (about 3 Tablespoons) and mix again until blended. Enjoy immediately or chill to set flavors.
- Place all ingredients in a small food processor, blender, or magic bullet and process until mixed well. Use half for the Quinoa salad, and save the rest for another salad.
Sarah Jane Parker is the founder, recipe creator, and photographer behind The Fit Cookie. She’s a food allergy mom and healthy living blogger based in Wyoming. Sarah is also an ACSM Certified Personal Trainer, ACE Certified Health Coach, Revolution Running certified running coach, and an ACE Certified Fitness Nutrition Specialist