Make a super quick weekday breakfast with this gluten free California breakfast bagel! This is our allergy friendly remake of the Southern Grounds California Bagel and our version is gluten free and egg free, and comes together in 10 minutes or less.
Back in March, we took a family vacation to Florida and when we ended up at the Jacksonville airport very early for our departing flight. My daughter and I got the California Bagel for breakfast from Southern Grounds in the airport and they were so delicious.
Their California breakfast bagels didn’t have dairy in them as-is, so that was awesome, I didn’t have to ask for subs or replacements. I didn’t feel great after eating the egg (I have a mild egg intolerance), but these sandwiches were so yummy that I decided to recreate an allergy friendly version of their sandwich that fits multiple food allergies!
We made ours egg free with the folded Just Egg and these came together in about 10 minutes, super quick for a breakfast sandwich so it’s really great for busy mornings. If you want to add a real egg, that will add a little bit of cooking time, but it’s still a great option for weekday breakfasts. I also skipped the sesame seeds and created mine own quick “aioli” with allergy friendly mayo.
This breakfast sandwich is:
- Gluten free
- Dairy free
- Egg free
- Peanut free
How to make our gluten free breakfast sandwich
This breakfast bagel comes together in record time, here are the steps for making this sandwich (the full recipe is at the end of the post):
- Heat up your folded Just Egg according to your preferred package directions (I use the microwave method). Alternatively, you can scramble some Just Egg or scramble 1 to 2 real eggs if you can have them.
- Toast your allergy friendly everything bagel lightly.
- While the bagel is toasting, mix the allergy friendly mayo with the chili crunch sauce.
- Allow the bagel to cool slightly (about 1 minute) before adding the mayo. While cooling, slice 1/4 of an avocado into slices.
- Spread the spicy mayo on both sides of the bagel, add the Just Egg, top with cold smoked salmon, and sliced avocado.
- Serve immediately.
The original sandwich has an aioli spread (chipotle I think?), in our version of this recipe, we made a quick spicy “aioli” with soy free and egg free mayo mixed with some chili crunch sauce.
Traditional aioli is made with olive oil and garlic, but we made a quick faux version that works in a pinch! If you’re looking for some brands of egg free and soy free mayo, we have a list of them on our post about soy free pantry staples.
A note on Just Egg
I used folded Just Egg to make this sandwich fast to assemble, plus it’s a nice size and shape that fits perfectly on the bagel. But you can use the liquid Just Egg to make a scrambled style “egg” to put on your sandwich.
Or you can use 1 or 2 real eggs in this sandwich if you can have real eggs. The original breakfast sandwich has scrambled eggs on it, but you can use over easy or sunny side up eggs as well if you prefer.
Allergy friendly everything bagels
There are a few different brands of allergy friendly everything bagels that will work great in this breakfast sandwich! If you’re egg free, it’s a bit harder to find gluten free bagels without eggs, but there are some out there.
BFree has an everything bagel that is allergy friendly and egg free (I believe those ones are top 8 free). Little Northern Bakehouse also makes an everything bagel that is gluten free, nut free, soy free, and egg free as well!
Here are some options for gluten free and dairy free everything bagels, including a few that use eggs for more options:
- Little Northern Bakehouse
- BFree everything bagel
- Canyon Bakehouse (contains egg whites)
- Udi’s Everything Inside Bagels (contains egg)
- Bedrock Bakers Pagels
- Unbagels (contains egg white)
If you’re not a fan of everything bagels, you can definitely use a plain bagel with this sandwich, or a different savory flavor. You can add a little onion powder to the chili mayo if you still want a little onion flavor without the everything seasoning.
If you can have wheat, you can try the Dave’s Killer Bread everything bagels, their products are usually made without dairy, soy, nuts, and eggs (they can be a bit expensive however).
Gluten Free California Breakfast Bagel (Dairy Free)
- Prepare the folded Just Egg according to your preferred package directions (I do the microwave method). Alternatively, you can scramble the liquid Just Egg or scramble 1 to 2 real eggs for this sandwich.
- While the Just Egg is cooling slightly, lightly toast your gluten free everything bagel. Once it's done toasting, cool slightly.
- While the bagel is toasting and cooling, mix together the allergy friendly mayo and chili crunch sauce. Slice the avocado.
- Spread the chili crunch mayo on both sides of the bagel.
- Add the folded Just Egg, top with the smoked salmon, and add the sliced avocado.
- Serve immediately.
Sarah Jane Parker is the founder, recipe creator, and photographer behind The Fit Cookie. She’s a food allergy mom and healthy living blogger based in Wyoming. Sarah is also an ACSM Certified Personal Trainer, ACE Certified Health Coach, Revolution Running certified running coach, and an ACE Certified Fitness Nutrition Specialist