Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my links.
These allergy friendly and vegan Gluten Free SunButter cookies are like a cross between shortbread and a soft cookie. Delicious!
Hey friends, we have cookies today! It’s been a little while since I posted a great cookie recipe, and since “cookie” is in my blog’s name, I certainly don’t want to disappoint 😉 Peanut Butter cookies have long been a favorite of mine since I really do love peanut butter anyway, but my kids have peanut allergies so I have been on a quest to make SunButter cookies that are egg-free and don’t turn green.
SunButter can turn green? Yep! SunButter (and ground sunflower seeds) tends to turn certain recipes a green color, but I have discovered that only happens when I use baking soda or baking powder. The pH change in the recipe is what causes the naturally occurring chlorogenic acid in the sunflower seeds (and SunButter) to turn a green color.
I wanted my cookies to look just like good ol’ peanut butter cookies, so I skipped the baking soda and baking powder altogether, making these delicious Gluten-Free SunButter Cookies a nice color and they have a texture between shortbread and a soft cookie. Score!
I got the idea for this recipe from one of my favorite peanut butter chocolate chip cookie recipes that had that wonderful shortbread texture, but since these are gluten-free and egg-free I had to start from scratch creating the recipe and came up with my own.
I went through several baking sessions with little tweaks here and there to get the cookies just right and keep them healthier, but I finally hit on this recipe that is perfect. P.S. the cookie dough tastes pretty awesome, too!
One of my first batches of these cookies I added some mini chocolate chips, and my kids loved those. I didn’t put chocolate chips in this version, but you can add some in to the dough if you like and just press the cookies down with your fingers instead of a fork. Who can resist chocolate chips and
peanut butter SunButter!
Gluten-Free SunButter Cookies (Vegan)
Gluten-free, vegan, low-FODMAP; Free of: peanuts, tree nuts, soy, eggs, dairy
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside
- In a small cup, stir together the flax seed and water. Set aside
- In a medium bowl, with a hand blender, beat together the SunButter and palm shortening until creamy
- Beat in the brown sugar, Stevia in the Raw, vanilla, and the flax water mixture
- Add the sorghum flour and salt to the SunButter mixture and beat together until blended and a thick dough forms. Press the dough together into a large ball
- Pinch off pieces of cookie dough and roll into balls about 1-1/2 inches in size, then press a fork cross-wise into the dough to slightly flatten the cookies
- Bake the cookies on the prepared cookie sheet for 13-14 minutes
- Allow cookies to cool for about 5 minutes on the cookies sheet before removing them to a cooling rack
Sarah Jane Parker is the founder, recipe creator, and photographer behind The Fit Cookie. She’s a food allergy mom and healthy living blogger based in Wyoming. Sarah is also an ACSM Certified Personal Trainer, ACE Certified Health Coach, Revolution Running certified running coach, and an ACE Certified Fitness Nutrition Specialist