Get ready for the BEST gluten free dairy free cookie recipe! Our Best Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies are allergy friendly and just like traditional Toll House chocolate chip cookies. You’d never know they’re gluten free and dairy free!
One thing I love about cookies is that they’re pretty easy to make and they bake quickly. Even if you don’t have a lot of baking experience, great classics like chocolate chip cookies are nearly foolproof and so easy to make.
I’ve written a few recipes for several different kinds of chocolate chip cookies in the past, but none of them are as close to real chocolate chip cookies as this one is!
These are seriously the best gluten free chocolate chip cookies!
Some of my older recipes for dairy free chocolate chip cookies are more cakey (like my Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies), but these ones turned out perfectly chewy in the middle and crispy on the edges just like those Toll House chocolate chip cookies my mom would make.
How to make gluten free dairy free chocolate chip cookies
I adapted this recipe from a chocolate chip cookie recipe on AllRecipes and made our recipe gluten free, egg free, dairy free, and soy free.
Our delicious gluten free vegan chocolate chip cookies are made with a gluten free all purpose flour blend and unbleached cane sugar for results closest to the real thing.
If you’d like a whole grain cookie with natural sweetener, check out our Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies that are made with brown rice flour (or whole grain sorghum flour, both work) and honey instead of cane sugar.
Here are the steps for creating these amazing gluten free chocolate chip cookies (don’t forget to scroll down to the recipe card for the complete recipe!):
- Preheat your oven and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Cream your completely softened dairy free butter in a large bowl with the brown sugar and unbleached sugar and vanilla.
- Next add your dry ingredients (the gluten free flour blend and baking soda) as well as the rice milk and chocolate chips and mix again till a dough forms.
- Scoop onto the prepared cookie sheets by the spoonful and bake for 10-13 minutes.
Gluten free chocolate chip cookie baking notes
With our cookies, you can make them crispier or chewier/softer depending on what you like. If you want these more crispy, bake for about 12-13 minutes. If you want these more chewy in the middle, bake for just 10-11 minutes.
Since my husband loves crunchy cookies, here’s another trick we like to do for extra crisp cookies: leave the cookies on the cooling rack longer (several hours) and put them in a container that isn’t airtight (like a bakery box). This keeps the cookies crisp if that’s your jam!
I like my chocolate chip cookies chewy in the middle and a bit crisp on the edges, so I just bake these for 10-11 minutes and store them in an airtight tupperware-type container to keep them from getting crunchy.
You’ll notice that we didn’t add any additional salt to this recipe since the King Arthur gluten free flour blend has salt in it already and the cookies also have baking soda.
If your gluten free all purpose flour doesn’t have salt in it already, you can add 1/4 teaspoon of salt to these if you like.
We love using the Country Crock Plant Butter with avocado oil or olive oil for our baking. The plant butter sticks don’t have soy in the ingredients but the tubs do have soybean oil in them. Also they have an almond oil plant butter, so if you have tree nut allergies double check the labels.
The sticks do have a warning of “may contain soy”, so if you have severe soy allergies you can use something like the Earth Balance Soy Free which is also a great option.
Check out our other gluten free dairy free cookie recipes:
- Gluten Free Sugar Cookies (Top 8 Free)
- Gluten Free Soft Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Gluten Free SunButter Cookies
- Gluten Free Vegan No Bake Cookies
- Gluten Free Frosted Lemon Cookies
Pin for later!
Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies (Gluten Free)
- 1/2 cup dairy free/vegan butter, softened (we like the avocado oil or olive oil Country Crock Plant Butter sticks)
- 1/2 cup unbleached cane sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups gluten free all purpose flour (we used King Arthur Flour gluten free one-to-one blend)
- 1/4 cup rice milk or other dairy free milk
- 3/4 cup allergy friendly chocolate chips (we use Nestle Simply Delicious semi-sweet chips)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the dairy free butter, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, and baking soda.
- Add the all purpose gluten free flour and the rice milk to the butter mixture and cream again until mixed thoroughly.
- Add the chocolate chips to the cookie dough and mix again until evenly distributed.
- Scoop cookie dough out with a spoon and drop on the cookie sheet by teaspoonfuls about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes for cookies that are chewy in the middle, or bake for 12-13 minutes for cookies that are crispy all over.
- Allow to cool on the pan for about 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-4 days (if they last that long!) or freeze them.
Sarah Jane Parker is the founder, recipe creator, and photographer behind The Fit Cookie. She’s a food allergy mom and healthy living blogger based in Wyoming. Sarah is also an ACSM Certified Personal Trainer, ACE Certified Health Coach, Revolution Running certified running coach, and an ACE Certified Fitness Nutrition Specialist