Allergy friendly Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies? Yes please! These delicious cookies are free of soy, nuts, eggs, and dairy
I have noticed something about many of my posts (especially when it comes to desserts): I tend to begin with some version of the words “I love…(insert dessert name)”. Hmm…maybe it’s time to try a new writing tactic?
But I guess it’s better than any negative things I could say. But really, who has negative things to say about healthy dessert? Not me!
I have been on a quest for classic chocolate chip cookies that are gluten-free, allergy-friendly, and not loaded with fat and sugar. I finally hit on a great recipe that uses flax meal to keep the cookie moist and soft without too much oil.
Out of the oven, these have a nice crumb on the outside and a nice tender center with lots of gooey chocolate chips.
I am a soft cookie person, so these are perfect for me. You can slightly under-bake these if you like the cookie-dough feel in the middle, and make sure to store these in an airtight container to keep their softness.
But if you are a crunchy cookie person (like my husband), try pressing the dough flat, bake a little bit longer, and leave them out on a baking rack overnight. This should make them nice and crunchy without altering the recipe.
I use this trick when I make cookies so I can have soft ones and my husband can have crunchy ones from the same recipe: it works!
- 1-1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 Tablespoons rice milk
- 1/4 cup flax meal I use golden flax meal
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup honey for vegan, use agave
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid Stevia optional
- 1/3-1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a baking stone or line a cookie sheet with parchment.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the brown rice flour, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a medium to large bowl, whisk together the milk and flax meal. The flax meal will start to gel and thicken.
- With a hand blender, beat in the oil, honey, vanilla, and Stevia (if using) until a creamy consistency.
- Add the flour mix to the wet ingredients and blend with the hand blender until mixed well (the dough will be quite firm).
- Add in the chocolate chips and mix in by hand.
- Drop cookie dough by Tablespoonfuls onto cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes until golden.
- Let rest on baking sheet for about 5 minutes, then cool completely on a wire rack.