Get a little decadent for breakfast with these Chocolate Coconut Pancakes, aka Mounds Pancakes! This breakfast only looks sinful: it’s whole grain, natural, gluten free, and vegan.
I have a confession: I used to have a candy bar addiction.
Well, it may not have been a full blown addiction per se. But I’ve mentioned before on the blog that when I was pregnant with my son, I started eating candy bars every day. Terrible idea, yikes. That bad habit took me a while to break.
On my forays to the grocery store, I loved to get Snickers, Reese’s, and Almond Joy or Mounds bars. I do love coconut and chocolate together, they are such a great combo!
These days I’m a lot more health conscious and my stomach is a lot more sensitive so I can’t have that stuff like I used to, so I make healthier and homemade versions of those treats. And what could be better than your favorite candy bar in a healthy pancake recipe (gluten-free and vegan, too)?! Whoa 🙂
Almond Joy candy bars were one of my favorite types of candy bars back then (sometimes I’ll have one occasionally! can’t have too many due to the dairy in them). But my kids can’t have almonds, so we made some Chocolate Coconut Pancakes (aka Mounds pancakes) so everyone could eat them.
If you want to make these into Almond Joy pancakes, just add some chopped or sliced almonds to the top of your pancake stack or mixed into the filling.
Gluten Free Chocolate Coconut Pancakes (Mounds Pancakes) Vegan
Gluten Free, Vegan; Free of: cane sugar, soy, dairy, eggs
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1 ½ Tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 ½ cup milk of choice
- ½ Tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 Tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon liquid Stevia
- ½ cup finely shredded coconut unsweetened
- 2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons milk of choice
- Preheat a skillet or griddle over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, flax, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder. Mix well.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together the milk, oil, vanilla, vinegar, and Stevia.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pour batter onto preheated skillet 1/4 cupfuls at a time. Cook on both sides until cooked through.
- While the pancakes are cooking, mix together the coconut shreds, maple syrup, and the milk.
- Serve the pancakes topped with the coconut/agave mixture.
Sarah Jane Parker is the founder, recipe creator, and photographer behind The Fit Cookie. She’s a food allergy mom and healthy living blogger based in Wyoming. Sarah is also an ACSM Certified Personal Trainer, ACE Certified Health Coach, Revolution Running certified running coach, and an ACE Certified Fitness Nutrition Specialist
4 thoughts on “Gluten Free Chocolate Coconut Pancakes (Vegan)”
Mounds/Almond Joy are literally my favorite candies. Now I can have them for breakfast!!!! This looks awesome 🙂
Thanks! I hope you enjoy them : )
Omg yum! Totally pinned 🙂