If you struggle with multiple food allergies including yeast and eggs, finding a good gluten free bread is challenging! My Yeast Free Sandwich Bread is free of all top 8 allergens and is whole grain and great for sandwiches and toast.
It can be tough finding bread that fits a diet with multiple food allergies. While there are lots of alternative breads on the market, there are still a lot with eggs, soy, and yeast in them, all of which can be problematic for many people. This Yeast Free Sandwich Bread is a great gluten-free and allergy-friendly homemade version that doesn’t require kneading. This sandwich bread is a cross between a plain quick-bread and a soda bread. This recipe is whole grain – no filler starches added!
For this bread, I used a special loaf pan designed for gluten-free breads. This loaf pan is a very sturdy non-stick metal pan made by King Arthur Flour. It is different than a traditional loaf pan in that it is taller and more narrow, making it better suited to gluten-free breads. You can use a regular loaf pan if you like, but it will be shorter and wider than the bread in the photos.
I know it’s tempting to have hot, fresh bread right away, but make sure that you let the loaf cool completely before slicing. Otherwise it will crumble and the inside will still be dense and a little gummy inside. This goes away once the loaf has cooled entirely. In fact, this loaf slices best when chilled.
This bread stores very well in the fridge and the freezer. If you don’t eat a lot of bread but still want to keep some on hand, chill the bread, slice up the entire loaf, wrap in freezer paper and plastic wrap or a ziploc bag, and freeze. Whenever you need a piece of bread, you can simply get as much as needed and pop right in the toaster! This is a great way to use your expensive breads without losing any of it to mold.
You can be be creative with this recipe: add some spices or cinnamon to make any flavor you like! Try subbing some of the brown rice flour with other whole grain flours, such as teff flour or oat flour.
- 3 cups brown rice flour
- 2 Tablespoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cup carton coconut milk
- 5 Tablespoons ground golden flax seed
- 1 Tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice
- Liquid Stevia to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray the bottom only of a narrow loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the milk and ground flax seed. Warm in the microwave for @ 30 seconds to help the flax gel.
- Whisk in the vinegar and the Stevia. Mix well.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and mix well. The dough will be a thick and elastic batter.
- Pour the dough/batter into the loaf pan and spread evenly in the pan.
- Bake for 1 hour and 5-10 minutes (65-70 min) until the bread is golden and set completely.
- Let the bread cool in the pan for about 10 minutes before removing from the pan.
Allow bread to COOL COMPLETELY before slicing. This freezes and chills well.
Allow the bread to cool COMPLETELY before slicing