If you’re coming up with ideas for a delicious and unique Mother’s Day breakfast in bed, try these Savory Basil Cornmeal Cakes with Wild Blueberry Preserves! The sweet and savory flavors blend beautifully in these gluten-free and vegan cornmeal pancakes, they are perfect for breakfast or brunch!
I remember the day my daughter first came home from the hospital, there were so many emotions flooding my heart all at once! I was so happy to finally meet this little person and have her in our lives, but so scared that I was now in charge of this tiny person and didn’t really know what I was doing. I think most parent’s feel that way!
Having our first baby was such a crazy emotional experience! And once we got home, everything really sank in: this little person changes your life forever, but in a really amazing way. Parenting can be such a challenge, but it is so rewarding. Raising little people to be responsible adults takes so many years of hard work, but that dedication and commitment pays off.
Becoming a mom has made me appreciate my own mother so much more! As kids, we often took for granted the many sacrifices our parents made for us. But once I became a mom and made those sacrifices myself, I could see how much my parents and my mother really loved us.
Making something by hand for Mother’s Day is such a beautiful way to celebrate the special moms in your life! Whether you’re celebrating Mother’s Day with your own mother, your children, or a good friend, a homemade breakfast in bed with these Savory Basil Cornmeal Cakes will make a great start to Mother’s Day.
There’s no need for maple syrup on these pancakes: I used the Bonne Maman wild blueberry preserves to top these pancakes and the flavors blend perfectly! Fresh basil has an almost fruity essence to it, so it pairs perfectly with the bold taste of wild blueberries and the light lemon zest in the cakes. It’s the perfect flavor blend!
Bonne Maman preserves are the perfect addition to your Mother’s Day recipes! The Bonne Maman preserves and jellies are made in France with natural ingredients that are non-GMO project verified. They are also free of high fructose corn syrup and artificial colors or flavors. The Bonne Maman Wild Blueberry preserves pair perfectly with the basil and lemon zest in the cornmeal cakes. The combination is delicious!
Every ingredient in Bonne Maman products can be found in your grandmother’s pantry, and they take pride that their products are simple, natural, and have a homemade taste. Bonne Maman uses the same recipes since their company began, and their products are gluten-free, nut free, and kosher!
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup fine sorghum flour
- 2 Tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup rice milk or other non-dairy milk
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 generous Tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- Wild Blueberry Preserves from Bonne Maman
- Preheat a skillet on the stove or an electric griddle over medium heat.
- Whisk together the corn meal, sorghum flour, flaxseed, baking powder, and salt
- Whisk in the rice milk, olive oil, lemon zest, and chopped basil until everything is mixed well and a batter forms
- Scoop about 1/8 to 1/4 cup batter onto the preheated pan, spreading out a little if needed since this batter is a bit thick. Cook until golden on each side
- Serve hot or warm topped with Wild Blueberry Preserves from Bonne Maman
These have the best taste and texture when they are served warm. If you have leftovers, warm them up before serving them