If you enjoy chocolate peanut butter eggs for Easter, then you’ll love these Gluten Free Chocolate Cookie Dough Eggs! They are easy to make plus they’re gluten, soy, nut, and dairy free!
Do you follow food trends? I’m usually never one for following food trends, or any trend in general! Sometimes when an idea catches on, it gets overused to death online when everyone jumps in to ride the popularity wave. I usually laugh inside and keep walking 😉
This month, I decided to make an exception to my typical no/low-trend blog posts. For the past few months, I’ve seen some pretty yummy looking cookie dough eggs trending on the internet. I decided that this was one food trend that I had to make!
I’ve been itching to make these for quite a while, and since Easter is coming up, it was the perfect excuse. I made up some Gluten Free Chocolate Cookie Dough Easter Eggs that are vegan and nut free! These are definitely not healthy, but they are allergy-friendly so they make an amazing splurge on Easter for people with food allergies.
How to make cookie dough eggs
As temping as it might be, I wouldn’t try to bake this dough! I was curious about how this dough would end up baked, so I rolled dough into a few balls and baked them. They ended up spreading out a ton and got really hard – not great. The cookie dough is amazing, but baking this dough just doesn’t work.
This cookie dough also freezes beautifully! I put some of this dough in the freezer to see how well it would hold up, and it freezes and thaws great. If you want to make a batch of dough ahead of time, you can freeze it, thaw completely at room temp and roll into eggs.
If you’re wondering if these are really vegan since they have palm oil in them (or any of my other recipes using palm oil), I use a sustainably sourced palm oil (from Spectrum Organic). Check out my recipe notes page to read a bit more about it!
Check out some of the egg-inspired Easter recipes from the other Food Blog Genius team members! Recipes clockwise from top:
- Cadbury Cream Egg Cupcakes – Arlene, Flour on my Face
- Easy No-Bake Chocolate Coconut Nests – Gloria, Homemade and Yummy
- Russian Egg and Onion Hand Pies – Julia, Imagelicious
- Festive Carrot Cupcakes – Veena Azmanov
- Gluten Free Chocolate Cookie Dough Eggs – Sarah, The Fit Cookie
Gluten Free Chocolate Cookie Dough Eggs (Vegan)
- In a medium bowl, beat together the palm oil, powdered sugar, rice milk, and vanilla with a hand mixer.
- Beat in the flour, salt, and mini chocolate chips until a thick dough forms. The dough should be thick and not sticky
- Roll about 1 Tablespoon of cookie dough into an egg shape, and chill for a few minutes to firm up. Don’t leave these too long in the fridge or they can dry out a bit
- While the cookie dough eggs are chilling, melt the chocolate chips with the coconut oil in a small bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time until completely melted. If you want a thicker coating of chocolate, use 1 teaspoon coconut oil. If you want a thin coating of chocolate, use 1 Tablespoon coconut oil.
- Dip the cookie dough eggs in the chocolate and let them set up either at room temp or in the fridge (for faster setting use the fridge)
- These have the best texture when they are served and stored at room temperature in a sealed container. If you chilled these to let the chocolate set, allow them to sit at room temp for about 15 minutes to soften the dough.
Sarah Jane Parker is the founder, recipe creator, and photographer behind The Fit Cookie. She’s a food allergy mom and healthy living blogger based in Wyoming. Sarah is also an ACSM Certified Personal Trainer, ACE Certified Health Coach, Revolution Running certified running coach, and an ACE Certified Fitness Nutrition Specialist