Create this simple Black Rice Taco Bowl for your next Taco Tuesday dinner! This taco bowl is easy to make for weeknight meals and it’s dairy free
Sometimes simple cooking is the healthiest cooking.
I often get a turned off by recipes that have way too many ingredients or steps in them. Simple & quick = affordable & healthy is a formula I adhere to for the most part.
That is not to say that there isn’t a place in my heart for some fancy foods, but that is definitely not an everyday occurrence. I don’t often post main dish recipes because most of them would be considered boring – very tasty yes, but certainly nothing fancy.
Most of our weeknight meals go something like this: grilled/baked/sauteed meat + veggies, sometimes + a starch like whole grain rice, quinoa, or sweet potatoes. Here is an example of the type of meal we eat on weeknights. I wanted to make tacos, but I didn’t have tortillas.
To improvise, I cooked a batch of black rice and made taco bowls instead. These were perfect: yummy, healthy, and simple. Most of the ingredients in this recipe are the spices and seasonings.
We don’t eat beans or other legumes around our house much, and I was out of cilantro and salsa. But if you want more goodies in your taco bowl, add beans, corn, cilantro, cheese, salsa,… whatever your heart desires! Load up on the fresh veggies! You can easily make a simple dinner for friends by creating a taco bar. Have fun with your food!
Gluten Free Black Rice Taco Bowl (Dairy Free)
- 1 cup black rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 large bell pepper diced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 ¼ pound 20 ounces 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 ½ tablespoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 to 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- ½ - 1 teaspoon powdered chipotle chili
- Toppings: Tomato Avocado, Cilantro, Black beans
- In a small saucepan, heat 2 cups water. Once the water is boiling, stir in 1 cup black rice and bring back to a simmer. Reduce heat, cover, and cook for 40 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet and saute the diced onion and pepper, and the garlic.
- When the onions and peppers are slightly soft, add the ground turkey (or beef) to the skillet and break up as you cook.
- While the turkey is cooking, add in the seasonings and stir to mix well. You can add more or less of the spices/seasonings depending on your taste.
- When the black rice has finished cooking, fluff with a fork and set aside.
- To assemble the taco bowl: place 1/2 cup rice in a bowl, top with 1/2-3/4 cup taco meat, then add avocado, tomato, ad cilantro on top. Enjoy!
Sarah Jane Parker is the founder, recipe creator, and photographer behind The Fit Cookie. She’s a food allergy mom and healthy living blogger based in Wyoming. Sarah is also an ACSM Certified Personal Trainer, ACE Certified Health Coach, Revolution Running certified running coach, and an ACE Certified Fitness Nutrition Specialist
2 thoughts on “Gluten Free Black Rice Taco Bowl (Dairy Free)”
Hi from Hello Cotton!!! This looks soooo good!! Yummmmm… Im making a cookie monster noise here at my desk and people are looking at me… Ill be back later!! Love your blog!
Thanks Tami! I love your blog, too. Great design ideas : )