Start breakfast off right with these delicious and easy Whole Grain Gluten Free Buckwheat Pancakes (they’re vegan too!). They are also free of cane sugar and can be made completely sugar-free if you like
Buckwheat – that strong tasting pseudograin that most people either love or hate! It’s one of those things in the food world that can be pretty polarizing, like brussels sprouts.
Personally, I love buckwheat when it’s blended with other things! It has a great earthy taste that’s perfect mixed with the sweetness of pure maple syrup. I don’t know that I like to buckwheat straight since it’s so strong, but I like it when it’s mixed with other grains, like in these Gluten Free Buckwheat Pancakes.
Pancakes also happen to be one of my favorite hot breakfast foods to make since they are so easy and are almost always foolproof. I admit I can be a lazy cook sometimes – I like easy recipes! If I’m
hangry hungry, muffins and quick breads just take too long to cook. And since I can’t have eggs, pancakes are usually my go-to for hot weekend breakfasts, along with a side of bacon.
If you’re one of those people who happens to like buckwheat, than you’ll enjoy these Whole Grain Gluten Free Buckwheat Pancakes. They are milder since they are only half buckwheat flour and half whole grain sorghum flour, so they don’t have that overwhelming buckwheat flavor that some people really don’t like.
These pancakes are based off of my best gluten free pancake recipe that I have made for years, just making adjustments to the types of flour we use. The older recipe uses rice flour, but I use sorghum flour these days. If you don’t have sorghum flour, you can easily sue brown rice flour instead. Add some mini chocolate chips like the old recipe if you want a fun twist!
Want an even milder buckwheat flavor in your pancakes? Simply adjust the ratio of flours by using 1/4 cup buckwheat flour and 3/4 cup sorghum flour instead of 1/2 cup of each. If you can’t get enough buckwheat, you can swap that ratio and use 3/4 cup buckwheat flour and 1/4 cup sorghum flour (or even 2/3 to 1/3 cup ratio).
Gluten Free Whole Grain Buckwheat Pancakes (Vegan)
- 1/2 cup whole grain sorghum flour superfine
- 1/2 cup whole grain buckwheat flour
- 2 Tablespoons ground flaxseed this is an egg replacer, don’t skip this ingredient!
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup + 1 Tablespoon unsweetened carton coconut milk not canned (or use your favorite non-dairy milk alternative)
- 2 Tablespoons light tasting olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup**
- Preheat a griddle until it’s hot (on an electric griddle, I heat it to 400 degrees).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sorghum flour, buckwheat flour, ground flaxseed, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- Whisk into the flour blend the coconut milk, olive oil, and maple syrup until a moderately thick batter is formed.
- Using a small scoop, scoop batter onto hot griddle and cook on one side until bubbles form, flip before the bubbles break open. Cook on the other side until golden browned
- Move pancakes to a cooling rack, serve hot with your favorite toppings
Food allergy mom and healthy living blogger! Sarah is also an ACSM Certified Personal Trainer, ACE Certified Health Coach, and an ACE Certified Fitness Nutrition Specialist