Perfect for weekend breakfast or brunch, these Best Ever Gluten free Chocolate Chip Pancakes are gluten free, vegan, and allergy friendly
This morning my kids wanted pancakes for breakfast, so I decided to try something a little bit different. I had a recipe from a Gooseberry Patch cookbook for pancakes that *rock!*, so I adapted it for our family. I usually get too fussy about the thickness of the batter, getting enough leavening, etc.
But today, I made a batch, made one adjustment, and just went with it. This recipe turned out to be the best gluten-free pancakes I have ever made (almost by accident)! My family loved them so much I ended up making a second batch. Lesson learned today: relax and just cook!
These pancakes have the perfect texture and flavor: a little crisp on the outside, soft on the inside, and not too sweet. You can eat these with syrup, jam, honey, or with a little butter or nut butter. This recipe is straight forward: there is no filler starch or xanthan gum. Just simple ingredients and perfect pancakes!
Recipe Adapted from “Little Squirt Pancakes” from Gooseberry Patch: Kids in the Kitchen Cookbook
- 1 cup + 2 Tablespoons brown rice flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 2 Tablespoons sugar or other granulated sweetener I used Madhava coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup liquid both milk or water work equally well
- 2 Tablespoons ground chia seed
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- 3-4 Tablespoons mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat a skillet or griddle over medium heat. These cook best for me on a non-stick surface without spray oil, but you can use your favorite method.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together the milk or water, chia seed, and oil. Microwave for 30 seconds to warm the liquid and gel the chia a bit.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and combine. Add chocolate chips and stir again until mixed.
- Pour batter onto hot skillet/griddle by 1/4 cupfuls and cook until lightly browned on each side. Enjoy!