Perfect for weekend breakfast or brunch, these Gluten free Chocolate Chip Pancakes are gluten free, vegan, and allergy friendly
This morning my kids wanted pancakes for breakfast, so I decided to try something a little bit different. I had a recipe from a Gooseberry Patch cookbook for pancakes that *rock!*, so I adapted it for our family. I usually get too fussy about the thickness of the batter, getting enough leavening, etc.
But today, I made a batch, made one adjustment, and just went with it. This recipe turned out to be the best gluten-free pancakes I have ever made (almost by accident)! My family loved them so much I ended up making a second batch. Lesson learned today: relax and just cook!
These pancakes have the perfect texture and flavor: a little crisp on the outside, soft on the inside, and not too sweet. You can eat these with syrup, jam, honey, or with a little butter or nut butter. This recipe is straight forward: there is no filler starch or xanthan gum. Just simple ingredients and perfect pancakes!
Recipe Adapted from “Little Squirt Pancakes” from Gooseberry Patch: Kids in the Kitchen Cookbook
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Pancakes (Vegan)
- 1 cup + 2 Tablespoons brown rice flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 2 Tablespoons sugar or other granulated sweetener I used Madhava coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup liquid both milk or water work equally well
- 2 Tablespoons ground chia seed
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- 3-4 Tablespoons mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat a skillet or griddle over medium heat. These cook best for me on a non-stick surface without spray oil, but you can use your favorite method.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together the milk or water, chia seed, and oil. Microwave for 30 seconds to warm the liquid and gel the chia a bit.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and combine. Add chocolate chips and stir again until mixed.
- Pour batter onto hot skillet/griddle by 1/4 cupfuls and cook until lightly browned on each side. Enjoy!
Food allergy mom and healthy living blogger! Sarah is also an ACSM Certified Personal Trainer, ACE Certified Health Coach, and an ACE Certified Fitness Nutrition Specialist