Heavenly Devil Cake sounds like an oxymoron, but it is the perfect name for this cake. Allow me to explain:
This baby cake is kinda dangerous (= devilish) because you can make your cake and eat in in less than 15 minutes. In the baking world, that’s super-speed! But, it is heavenly because it is healthy, allergy-friendly, and tasty. It has no added sugar or oil and boasts 5 grams of vegan protein (!) and 12 g fiber (!!) without protein powder. And it doesn’t taste like cardboard. In the health food world, that’s pretty impressive. Hmm…I suppose you could even eat this for breakfast. Way better than All Bran!
This little cake is perfect when you are having chocolate or sweet cravings but don’t have the time to bake an entire cake. I topped mine with some fruit-only cherry jam to create that nice chocolate-dipped cherry flavor. Because of the fiber and protein from the coconut flour, this makes a very filling snack too.
I had to make this cake several times before I finally hit on the right combination of ingredients. If you want a fudgier cake, you can decrease the coconut flour slightly (like by 1/2 teaspoon). I got the best results using a very fine ground coconut flour from Aloha-Nu, but it should work with course ground coconut flour, the texture just won’t be quite as nice.
|3-Minute Chocolate Cake (aka Heavenly Devil Cake)||
- 1/4 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1-1/2 teaspoon ground flax seeds
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons fine coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Stevia or Truvia, to taste
- Dash salt
- Dash baking soda
- Optional: mini chocolate chips
- Lightly oil the bottom of a 4 ounce ramekin. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the applesauce and flax meal. Let sit for about 1 minute to allow the flax meal to thicken the applesauce a little.
- Stir in the cocoa powder, coconut flour, vanilla, Stevia or Truvia, salt, and baking soda. Stir well.
- Mix in chocolate chips if using.
- Spoon the thick batter into the ramekin and smooth out with a spoon.
- Cook in the microwave for 2 minutes on high until baked through.
- Let cool and turn onto a plate or eat out of the ramekin. You can eat this alone or top it with fruit-only preserves (cherry is good!). Enjoy!
For GAPS Diet: remove baking soda