It’s funny how the start of the school year changes things so fast! Our kids started back to school on Monday and the house has been quieter and our family schedule has changed once again. I’m working on training and teaching fitness in the mornings and blogging in the early afternoons, and evenings are getting busier with family activities, homework, and (soon) sports and music.
With all the stuff my kids are doing during the school day, they’re usually hungry and clamoring for a snack of some kind as soon as they get home. School can be a lot of work for kids, their teachers do great work and keep them busy!
While we try to keep things pretty healthy in our house, sometimes it’s nice to have a more decadent treat for after school snacks. Instead of reaching for store-bought cookies or granola bars, try making these bars instead! These No-Bake Chocolate Chip Oat Bars are sweet and rich, but are still made a bit healthier with whole grains, natural sugars, and healthy fats.
These No-Bake Chocolate Chip Oat Bars are simple, easy to make, and are loaded with Bob’s Red Mill oats which are a good source of fiber. The healthy fats from the SunButter and the complex carbs in the oats will help keep your kids a bit more satisfied after eating these treats. Pair these with fruit or veggies and some protein and you have a filling after-school snack.
Oats are such a versatile whole grain, you can do so many things with them! I like to use them in protein bites, fruit crisp, overnight oats, muffins, cookies, pancakes…you name it! Since there are several types of oats (quick, rolled, and steel cut), there are lots of different ways to use them in your recipes.
I created these bars with both the quick oats and the rolled oats in this recipe: quick oats to help them stick together better and regular rolled oats to give these bars plenty of texture.
I originally cut the pan into 12 bars but I would recommend cutting them into 16 smaller bars since I think they are quite rich and sweet. If you’re watching your portions and sugar intake, you can even roll these into smaller balls to make them easier to take places and to keep portions small. If you’re rolling these into balls, you can make over 30 of them with this recipe.
If you want to make try some of the Bob’s Red Mill products and make these bars, check out the monthly coupons for Bob’s Red Mill products for a discount on your next purchase!
No-Bake Chocolate Chip Oat Bars
Makes 16 bars (or 32 balls)
Gluten-free, vegan; Free of: soy, eggs
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-free Rolled Oats
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-free Quick Oats
- 1/3-1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash salt
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons SunButter
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a medium bowl, stir together the oats, chocolate chips, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside
- In a small bowl, whisk together the SunButter, maple syrup, and vanilla until smooth
- Stir the SunButter mixture into the oats and stir to mix well
- Firmly press the oat mixture into the bottom of an 8×8-inch baking dish lined with parchment paper
- Refrigerate until set up and firm
- Remove entire pan of bars from pan onto a cutting board and cut into 12-16 pieces
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days
- These are best kept chilled
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.