What’s better than homemade protein bites as a snack? These Espresso Hemp Protein Bites are perfect for busy days, and they’re gluten free, vegan, and peanut free!
What’s better for a snack than homemade protein bites? Not much! Bites are a quick, healthy, and portable snack that is more affordable than buying protein bars. There aren’t too many protein bars out there that I can have due to my allergies, so when I need some quick protein options I always try to mix up some bites.
If you’re busy this summer like we have been, than making sure you get enough lean protein during the day can be a challenge, especially if you have food allergies or are on a special diet. If you have busy weekdays, it helps to plan ahead and make some protein-packed foods ahead when you have some free time. These Espresso Hemp Protein Bites not only are super quick to make, but they are also easy to take anywhere.
If you want to expand your protein horizons, then check out the new Bob’s Red Mill vegan protein varieties! Bob’s Red Mill sent over an amazing protein package with the 4 new flavors of their vegan protein powders, along with a fun shaker bottle and mini recipe booklet. Pretty awesome!
The 4 new varieties of Bob’s Red Mill vegan protein powders are all plant-based and…
- Good source of omega-3
- Good source of iron
- High in protein
- High in fiber
- Low in sugar
- Boosted with probiotics
The 4 protein powders that were sent to me have a pea protein base and all natural flavors, so people with allergies can enjoy them. Since I have multiple food sensitivities and I’m eating mostly low-FODMAP, Bob’s Red Mill sent me a pack of Hemp Protein Powder that I could have, too. This protein is natural, packed with fiber, and great for recipes like my Espresso Hemp Protein Bites!
These Espresso Hemp Protein Bites have some of my favorite things: coffee and protein! They have a good blend of protein, complex carbohydrates, and healthy fats, so they make great post-workout fuel or a healthy anytime snack. I used white chia seeds in this recipe, but you can use either white of black chia seeds.
Since I don’t have caffeine anymore, I used decaf instant coffee in this recipe. But if you want a little caffeine boost in your bites, try using regular instant coffee. Find a good instant coffee that isn’t overly bitter for this recipe. We used one of our favorite organic instant coffee brands to get the best taste.
Espresso Hemp Protein Bites
- 9 Tablespoons Bob’s Red Mill Hemp Protein (= 1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp)
- 1/4 cup gluten-free quick oats
- 1/8 teaspoon salt*
- 2 Tablespoons whole chia seeds I used white chia seeds
- 2 teaspoons organic instant decaf coffee
- 3 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons SunButter
- Vanilla Stevia drops to taste (I used 1/4 teaspoon)
- In a medium bowl, stir together the hemp protein, oats, salt, chia seeds, and instant coffee
- Stir in the SunButter, maple syrup, coffee (or rice milk), and stevia drops. Adjust the amount of stevia drops to suit your taste
- Mix all ingredients together to form a soft dough. If the dough feels dry after mixing, add 1 Tablespoon brewed coffee or rice milk
- Roll dough into balls about 1-inch in size
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge
Sarah Jane Parker is the founder, recipe creator, and photographer behind The Fit Cookie. She’s a food allergy mom and healthy living blogger based in Wyoming. Sarah is also an ACSM Certified Personal Trainer, ACE Certified Health Coach, Revolution Running certified running coach, and an ACE Certified Fitness Nutrition Specialist