These Coffee Chocolate Chip Protein Bites only taste indulgent, but they are actually healthy! These bites are gluten free and dairy free with a nut-free option, and they have a bit of protein and coffee to power you through your day
Hey friends, how is your Spring shaping up? I’ve been struggling with the seemingly ever-present seasonal allergies, and some health issues we’re still trying to iron out, but even though my body feels a bit run down this Spring, I’m really excited for what this year has in store!
We have several trips planned for this year: next month I’m heading to Everything Food Conference in Utah since I won a conference ticket from my ad network (Mediavine), June we have a few weekend travels planned, and in July we’re heading up to Montana for a family wedding (always excited to visit my birth state).
In August my children and I are going to Haiti on a mission trip (I’ll post more about that this week!), and we have various races and events sprinkled throughout.
We’ll be doing the local races here this summer, but we have nothing big planned for fitness events since I’m still trying to get a handle on my knee issues (which isn’t letting me do any long distance running anyway).
Since we have a busy spring and summer planned, I always try to pack some homemade food and snacks like these Coffee Chocolate Chip Protein Bites. Since we’re making multiple trips this year and we’re trying to save money, this is the first year we’ll be using AirBnB. We’ve never used them before, so we’re not sure what to expect!
Hotels and travel aside, I’m pretty excited about this recipe not only because it’s a delicious travel companion (yum), but this is one of the few bite recipes that I’ve used cashew butter and I’m pretty impressed!
I haven’t used cashew butter very much over the years since it was always hard to get here in town and expensive when I did find it. I found some cashew butter that was pretty reasonably priced, so I snagged some for bite recipes. So glad I did! I discovered it gives these bites an almost caramel taste. So yummy!!
You can store these in the fridge if you want to, but I’ve found that they have the best texture when they are kept at room temperature. They keep good at room temp in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
Check out our other protein bite recipes:
- Fudgy Brownie Protein Bites
- Strawberry Oat Protein Bites
- Coffee Chocolate Chip Protein Bites
- Healthy Chocolate Protein Bites (Vegan)
- Orange Poppyseed Protein Bites (Vegan)
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Protein Bites
- Cranberry Chia Protein Bites
- Espresso Hemp Protein Bites
- Chai Spice Protein Bites
Coffee Chocolate Chip Protein Bites
Gluten free, dairy free; Free of: soy, eggs, peanuts
- 1/2 cup gluten free oats
- 1/3 cup collagen powder (I used Great Lakes Gelatin green label collagen powder)
- 2 Tablespoons mini allergy-friendly chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee
- Dash Salt
- Dash cinnamon
- 5 Tablespoons cashew butter (OR SunButter for nut-free)
- 3 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Grind the gluten free oats coarsely in a food processor (don’t make this like flour, make sure it’s course).
- Stir together the ground oats, collagen powder, chocolate chips, instant coffee, salt, and cinnamon.
- Add the cashew butter, maple syrup, and vanilla extract, then stir together again until mixed well.
- Roll into 10-12 balls and store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Sarah Jane Parker is the founder, recipe creator, and photographer behind The Fit Cookie. She’s a food allergy mom and healthy living blogger based in Wyoming. Sarah is also an ACSM Certified Personal Trainer, ACE Certified Health Coach, Revolution Running certified running coach, and an ACE Certified Fitness Nutrition Specialist