One of the things I love about going out to eat is trying different lettuce wraps. Lots of restaurants have their own version of these, but many of them take what would be a healthy main dish and overload it with too much salt, sugar, and fat in their sauces.
Plus, lots of wrap sauces have a soy or peanut base, which can be a big no-no for people with food allergies. Here is my take on one of my favorite Asian-inspired dishes. These wraps are light, flavorful, and loaded with as many veggies as you like.
If you like having a peanut-based sauce for your wrap, try adding some nut or seed butter when you whip up the sauce. Bonus: when you cook at home, you never have to guess what is in your food (and whether or not you might have an allergic reaction to it!).
* Coconut aminos: a sauce made from the fermented sap of coconut palm trees. It is sweet and tasty, with a little bit of alcohol (which cooks out). Fish sauce and coconut aminos are great soy-free, gluten-free, and grain-free alternatives to soy sauce in Asian cooking
- 1-1/4 pounds 20 ounces extra-lean ground turkey
- 2 large cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 2 Tablespoons coconut aminos
- 2 Tablespoons orange juice
- 1 Tablespoon Thai fish sauce
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1-2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon tapoica starch
- Additions: green leaf lettuce broccoli slaw, sliced green onions
- Preheat a large skillet with 1 Tablespoon olive or coconut oil. Once the pan is heated, place the turkey and minced garlic in the skillet and begin to brown the meat, breaking up with a spatula as you cook it. Don't add salt to the meat here, the fish sauce has enough sodium for this recipe.
- Meanwhile, place the chicken stock, coconut aminos, fish sauce, orange juice, lime juice, ginger, and tapioca starch in a bowl and whisk together.
- Once the ground turkey is completely cooked through, add the sauce to the ground meat and cook until the sauce has thickened.
- Serve wrapped in lettuce cups and topped with sliced green onions and broccoli slaw!