Craving something sweet but want to stick to your healthy eating plan? Here’s a recipe for Cheer Up Almond Butter Cups from The Sexyfit Method book by Zlata Sushchik!
This year’s weather has been snowy, snowy, and cold here! It has been a little bit warmer lately (30’s) so that has been nice, but everyone here is really looking forward to some warmer weather. At least all this snow will make for a really green spring and summer!
Sometimes our bodies crave sugary foods when we are feeling blue or the weather has us down, but eating junk food when we’re blue doesn’t help! If you’re craving sweets due to the weather, skip the store-bought candy bars and make some healthier almond butter cups at home.
As tempting as it might be, make sure not to eat the whole batch at once! Save some for later in the fridge or share with some friends 🙂
This recipe was actually created by Zlata Sushchik, the business and fitness coach behind the The Sexyfit Method book. Zlata is letting me share this Cheer up Almond Butter Cup recipe from her book today so you can get a sneak peek at the recipes!
After looking through the recipes in The Sexyfit Method, I decided to share this one since I am always on the lookout for healthier sweets, and it’s been a little while since I posted a dessert recipe. And c’mon, who doesn’t love a good chocolate recipe! P.S., these would make an awesome Valentine’s Day treat 😉
In her book, Zlata creates 5 steps to living a healthier life:
- Creating the right mindset
- How to have a good relationship with food
- Following a simple fitness routine
- The power of community to reach your goals
The Sexyfit Method isn’t a diet, it’s a tutorial for mindset and lifestyle changes so people can create healthier lives for the long run. With the section about food freedom, there are plenty of recipes to try (including some desserts like this one!) so you can try some new meals.
The Cheer Up Almond Butter Cup recipe in the book looked delicious so Zlata let me share it with you! In this recipe, I used Enjoy Life chocolate chips, so these are gluten, soy, peanut, and dairy free along with being vegan. If you have food allergies, make sure you find chocolate chips that fit your food allergies.
If you have tree nut allergies, you can replace the almond butter with SunButter instead. This recipe can also be peanut-free depending on the brand of almond butter you use. I usually don’t count coconut as a true nut although the FDA does, but if you have tree nut allergies and aren’t sure about eating coconut, talk to your allergist first.
For more recipes from Zlata, check out The Sexyfit Method!
Check out our other dairy free candy recipes!
- Gluten Free Toffee Squares (aka Cheater Toffee)
- Gluten Free Holiday Pretzel Bark (Dairy Free)
- Almond Coffee Toffee Chocolate Bark
- SunButter Buckeyes
- Chocolate Peppermint Bark
- Peppermint Patties
- Almond Butter Cups
- SunButter Jam Cups
Cheer Up Almond Butter Cup
- In a small microwaveable bowl, heat the chocolate chips and coconut oil 30 seconds at a time (stirring every 30 seconds) until the chocolate is completely melted
- Line a mini muffin tin with cupcake liners (or use a silicone mini muffin pan without liners)
- Add 1 tsp of the melted chocolate into each liner.
- Add 1 tsp of almond butter into each liner (I let the bottom chocolate layer cool a bit before adding the almond butter)
- Sprinkle with shredded coconut.
- Top each with 1 tsp of melted chocolate.
- Allow to cool completely in the fridge
- Since the coconut oil softens the chocolate, it’s best to keep these in the fridge
Sarah Jane Parker is the founder, recipe creator, and photographer behind The Fit Cookie. She’s a food allergy mom and healthy living blogger based in Wyoming. Sarah is also an ACSM Certified Personal Trainer, ACE Certified Health Coach, Revolution Running certified running coach, and an ACE Certified Fitness Nutrition Specialist