Looking for a quick and healthy meal? Make this easy Sausage and Vegetable Sauté in a pinch. Gluten and dairy free, this is the perfect dinner for people with food allergies! This recipe was originally featured as my paid guest post over at So Fab Food
Most of us know this feeling: Standing in front of your fridge or roaming around the grocery store and trying to figure out what to make for dinner that’s quick, healthy, and won’t leave a ton of dishes behind. If you’re busy, chances are you’ve been here more than a few times!
When our weeks get busy, I try to create meal plans and menus in our house since it saves a ton of time and headache, but sometimes time gets away and I don’t get a chance to make a shopping list or get the menu written up in time.
During those busy weeknights, I turn to one of my favorite recipes: Easy Sausage and Vegetable Sauté.
This easy Sausage and Vegetable Sauté is one of my go-to favorites when we don’t have a plan for dinner. I’ve been making this dish for years and it is a super easy way to get dinner on the table in one pan in under 30 minutes, start to finish. Perfect
One-Pan Sausage and Vegetable Sauté
Not only is this dish incredibly easy and delicious, it’s healthy, gluten-free, and dairy-free (depending on the sausage you use), so it fits many special diets if you’re cooking for anyone with food allergies. We have different food allergies and intolerances in our house, so we try to create meals that everyone can enjoy, and this one works great.
Most days, this recipe is perfect on it’s own, but if your family wants a little bit more with this dish, you can pair it with a crusty French or Italian bread to round out your meal.
This One-Pan Sausage and Vegetable Sauté can also be switched up to fit your family. If your kids don’t like zucchini, you can use more bell peppers or mushrooms instead. If you want an Italian flavor, add some artichoke hearts and basil. There are plenty of ways to get creative!
Speaking of getting creative, if you haven’t discovered Creole seasoning yet, it’s time to go buy some! We love using creole spice mix as an all-around seasoning for any type of cuisine, not just Cajun dishes. Since Creole seasoning has garlic, onion, and cayenne, which are all common to many cuisines, it’s a great way to add salt and spice to just about any dish we make.
One-Pan Sausage and Vegetable Sauté
- ½ Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large red bell pepper seeds removed and chopped
- 2 medium zucchini chopped with skin (about 3-4 cups chopped)
- 1 large garlic clove minced with garlic press
- 16 ounces baby portobello mushrooms
- 12 ounces fully cooked chicken sausage I used Bilinsky’s gluten-free sausage
- 3 green onions sliced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning I used Tony Chachere's
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare your vegetables first by washing, seeding, and chopping them. Set aside.
- Preheat a large nonstick skillet on the stove with the olive oil over medium-low to medium heat. Once the pan and the oil is hot, add the bell pepper, zucchini, and garlic to the pan and sauté.
- After about 5 minutes, add the mushrooms and continue to cook.
- Once the vegetables begin to soften, slice up the sausage and green onion and add it to the pan, along with the paprika and Creole seasoning. Cook until the sausage is heated through completely and the vegetables are softened, but not mushy (tender crisp).
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Food allergy mom and healthy living blogger! Sarah is also an ACSM Certified Personal Trainer, ACE Certified Health Coach, and an ACE Certified Fitness Nutrition Specialist