Looking for a healthy treat for your sweety? Make these Chocolate Dipped Cherries for a healthy and easy Valentine’s Day treat!
Got Valentine’s Day candy? I have something better!
Valentine’s Day is coming up and people are on the lookout for great Valentine’s Day treats to make their special day sweeter. Try stepping away from that sugary processed stuff and make your own treats this year!
Sugar is my kryptonite…especially Valentine’s conversation hearts. In fact, the conversation hearts and I already faced off last week – I lost. I just have to keep that stuff out of my house or I get a little crazy with it (actually, a LOT crazy with it)! Moderation with sweets is not my strength, so making healthier treats is my best bet.
The recipe is super simple, so there isn’t a whole lot of explaining to do, except that you can pit the cherries first or not (that is up to you). However, if you are going the super-easy route and leaving the pits in, don’t forget to warn your friends 😉 If you decide to pitting these first, then try pitting them from the side so the stem stays on the cherry.
I love these Chocolate Dipped Cherries with the chopped sunflower seeds added to them! It adds nice crunch and a bit of salt. I used sunflower seeds here so my kids could eat them, but feel free to use any of your favorite nuts or seeds. Pistachios or pumpkin seeds would make a colorful stand-in!
- 1/3 pound fresh cherries with stems attached
- 1/2 cup allergy-friendly chocolate chips Enjoy Life makes some
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/4 cup roasted sunflower seeds chopped (optional)
- Wash cherries and pat dry. You can dip these as-is, or you can remove the pit. If removing the pit, try removing from the side to keep the stem attached to the cherry.
- In a small bowl, melt the chocolate chips in the microwave by heating for 30 seconds at a time, stirring between each heating session, until all the chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Stir in the coconut oil to thin the chocolate a bit to aid in dipping.
- Dip the cherries into the chocolate, then dip into the chopped sunflower seeds (if using).
- Place cherries on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet and chill until the chocolate is set.