Dip your chips or top your main dish with this delicious and no-cook Fresh Poblano Salsa! It’s easy to make and it’s allergy friendly and paleo
This is a fantastic salsa, even better than the jars store-bought cooked salsa made out of stewed tomatoes. Fresh salsa tastes so much better than cooked salsa, especially if you can get excellent tomatoes. Raw tomatoes have less acid in them than cooked tomatoes , so we don’t eat tomato-based recipes very much because of reflux problems.
We generally don’t eat a lot of tomatoes for this reason, but we have been getting a produce basket from a food coop each week and tomatoes have been in every basket. Fresh salsa seemed like one of the best things to make this week with out tomatoes.
Not sure why, but some of my favorite salsa recipes have other vegetables added in, like shredded cabbage or summer squash. It adds a nice crunch contrast to the softer tomatoes and helps cut the acid in the salsa even more.
Tomato tip: tomatoes have the best flavor and texture when they are stored at room temperature, not the fridge. They don’t tend to last quite as long, but they taste much better this way.
This salsa is perfect on top of grilled chicken, steak, or shrimp. You can also make a salad out of it by adding some greens and other salad favorites.If you want some more heat, add come minced jalapeno or chipotle peppers.
Makes about 6 cups
- 4 large tomatoes seeds removed, diced
- 2 large poblano peppers seeds and membrane removed, diced
- 1 small yellow squash or zucchini diced
- 1/4 small onion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro finely chopped
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- Hot sauce garlic powder, salt, and pepper (to taste)
- Remove the seeds from the tomatoes and poblano peppers and dice. Dice all the vegetables and mix together with the garlic, cilantro, lime zest and juice, and seasonings. Enjoy!