Indulge this apple season with our delicious gluten free apple blondies! These blondies are perfectly soft in the middle and crispy on top. They are also nut free and vegan!
Since Starbucks released their pumpkin spice latte earlier this year than ever before, pumpkin everything is popping up again (not complaining though, I love pumpkin! 😉 ).
But we’re not busting out the pumpkin recipes just yet since we want to give apples some more love since they’re in season, and I love apple recipes just as much as I love pumpkin recipes!
Since we had quite the bumper crop of apples this year from our backyard tree (we had a ton of rain this year), we’ve had some fun with apple recipes. I decided to make an apple blondie recipe to share, and after 6 batches, I’m happy to say that we’ve got a winner!
These apple blondies are loosely based off of my One Bowl Fudge Brownies recipe (one of my all time favorite recipes!!). The texture is similar, but with a whole different taste for fall.
How to make gluten free apple blondies
It took me a several testing batches (6+) to get the texture and flavor just right, but I’m happy with the results! These are a delicious treat for apple lovers.
Our apple blondies are crisp on top and gooey and soft in the middle, perfect! If you like a cakier blondie, than you can add a Tablespoon or 2 more flour to this recipe, but we love how soft these are in the middle when they’re made as written.
If you feel like these are too soft in the middle, then let them cool completely before serving them. Just like our brownie recipe, these blondies will firm up as they cool.
Instead of using our apples from our backyard, I used firm Pink Lady Apples for this recipe since they have great flavor and cook well. No need to peel the apple before dicing! You can use Granny Smith apples, too, if you want the apples to be more tart.
Make sure that you’re making these apple blondies with the flour that is called for, and not a gluten free flour blend. I’ve heard from people who’ve used flour blends for the brownies that they do not turn out like they should when a flour blend is used.
You can add a fun twist to this recipe by adding some dairy free white chocolate chips if you want, or some chopped pecans if you can have tree nuts.
I’ve made this recipe with both coconut sugar and brown sugar and they both work great. Coconut sugar has less moisture than brown sugar, so it will be less dense in the middle if you use coconut sugar, and will have a stronger molasses flavor than using just brown sugar.
You can even make this recipe with half-and-half coconut sugar and brown sugar for more of a toffee flavor!
I have also used both melted Earth Balance Soy Free margarine and light tasting olive oil in this recipe. Both of those options work great, so you can pick which one you’d like to use in this recipe depending on what you prefer or what you have on hand.
You probably already know this, but these apple blondies are not a low calorie treat. They do have real sugar and oil in them, but you can cut these smaller for better portion control if you like, or experiment with using baking Stevia in place of the sugar (the texture may not be the same however).
Check out our other apple recipes:
- Instant Pot Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal
- Easy Instant Pot Apple Butter
- Dairy Free Caramel Apple Nachos
- Apple Butter Brown Sugar Cookies
- Gluten Free and Dairy Free Apple Recipes for Fall
- Gluten Free Apple Oatmeal Cookies
- Dairy Free Apple Pie Smoothie
- Ginger Apple Sparkling Cider
- Apple Cider Pancakes
- Apple Cinnamon Granola
Tools you’ll need for this recipe:
Gluten Free Apple Blondies
- ⅔ cup diced firm apple, unpeeled
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup golden ground flaxseed
- ½ cup light tasting olive oil (or other oil) (OR melted Earth Balance Soy Free margarine, either work great in this recipe)
- ¼ cup rice milk or other non-dairy milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cup fine sorghum flour OR brown rice flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon all spice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line an 8×8-inch glass baking pan with parchment paper. Set side.
- Core the unpeeled apple and dice it, measure out 2/3 cup and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, ground flaxseed, oil, rice milk, and vanilla and stir together. Set aside.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, and allspice.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and stir well until a thick batter forms. Add the apples to the batter and stir again until combined.
- Scoop batter into prepared pan and bake 35-40 minutes depending on how soft you want these to be in the middle.
- Allow the blondies to cool for about 15-20 minutes before cutting and serving. If you want these to be more firm, allow them to cool completely before cutting and serving.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 days.
Sarah Jane Parker is the founder, recipe creator, and photographer behind The Fit Cookie. She’s a food allergy mom and healthy living blogger based in Wyoming. Sarah is also an ACSM Certified Personal Trainer, ACE Certified Health Coach, Revolution Running certified running coach, and an ACE Certified Fitness Nutrition Specialist
2 thoughts on “Gluten Free Apple Blondies (Dairy Free & Nut Free)”
I like the recipe, this is yummy.