Welcome the fresh spring strawberry harvest with this Strawberry Coffee Cake – it’s whole grain, vegan, and free of cane sugar!
We all hope you had a great Easter! I know this post may be a little bit late, but we have been busy in the Parker house these days, and things aren’t slowing down! Easter morning was a hang-out-at-home morning for my kiddos and I.
My husband had to work, so we just lazed at home most of the day with some baking thrown in now and again.
Easter morning I made this Strawberry Coffee Cake for breakfast and it was so delicious! The kids and I had to keep tabs on how many pieces we ate otherwise the whole pan would have disappeared before too long 😉
Gluten Free Strawberry Coffee Cake (Vegan)
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- ¼ cup ground flax or ground chia seed as a binder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt scant
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup powdered Stevia in the Raw
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons light tasting olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup diced fresh strawberries
- ¼ cup brown rice flour
- ⅓ cup gluten-free old fashioned rolled oats
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- Dash salt and cinnamon
- 3 Tablespoons cold Earth Balance Soy-Free Margarine or coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and spray the bottom of an 8x8-inch baking pan with oil
- Wash and stem the strawberries and dice enough to make 1 cup. Set aside
- Prepare the crumb topping: stir together the flour, oats, coconut sugar, salt, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Using a fork or a knife, cut in the margarine until the mixture is crumbly. Set aside
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, ground flax seed, baking powder, baking soda, salt, coconut sugar, and Stevia.
- In a larger bowl, mix together the applesauce, vanilla, oil, and lemon juice.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well. Stir in diced strawberries
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread it evenly, then sprinkle the crumb mixture evenly over the top of the batter
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until nicely browned and toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean
- Let cake cool in the pan for about 10 minutes before cutting and serving warm. Enjoy!
Sarah Jane Parker is the founder, recipe creator, and photographer behind The Fit Cookie. She’s a food allergy mom and healthy living blogger based in Wyoming. Sarah is also an ACSM Certified Personal Trainer, ACE Certified Health Coach, Revolution Running certified running coach, and an ACE Certified Fitness Nutrition Specialist
10 thoughts on “Gluten Free Strawberry Coffee Cake (Vegan)”
Goodness this looks devine!
Why thank you Eileen 🙂 It’s pretty tasty, too
This is such a wonderful recipe. Perfect for tea time. Wish I have a piece in front of me now. 😛
Oh yes, this would make a perfect tea time snack! Great idea 🙂
That sounds amazing!!!!!
Thanks Jody 🙂
OH baby do I remember adoring coffee cake back in the day! This brings back some serious memories!
Definitely a weekend treat! I try to keep breakfast pastries to a minimum, but I love coffee cake 😉
Yum! This recipe looks delish!
Thank you Kat! 🙂