This Avocado Chicken Salad is one of the easiest and healthiest lunch recipes you can make! It’s simple, gluten free, paleo, and free of sugars. Serve it in lettuce cups, on cucumber slices, or over your favorite healthy crackers
Veggies are our friends, right?
Then why is it sometimes SO HARD to eat more of them?!
If you’re like me, I eat pretty well (not perfect of course), but getting all my servings of veggies each day is a bit of a struggle to be honest.
I don’t do smoothies all the time, and I try to eat salads frequently, but sometimes I need more substance to my salads.
Lunch is the perfect time to squeeze in some extra veggies, just mix your favorites in to this Avocado Chicken Salad! Mixing veggies (and fruit = avocado) into your main lunch dish is an easy way to get those veggies in without having to worry about it too much.
This Avocado Chicken Salad is awesome because 1) it’s paleo and grain-free, 2) is vegetable-loaded, 3) has no eggs and soy often found in conventional mayo-based salads, and 4) is completely satisfying and filling.
Plus this salad is quick and easy to make, and is super simple. This chicken salad get’s it’s creaminess from avocado, so you don’t have to spend too much on allergy-friendly mayonnaise that can sometimes cost quite a bit.
You can easily make this recipe your very own by adding different vegetables (like chopped peppers, tomatoes, green onions) or you have fun and mix in chopped dried or fresh fruit if you like that sweet and salty taste of chicken salad with fruit.
Easy, affordable, tasty, and healthy – sounds like the perfect lunch to me!
Why use avocado instead of mayo?
You might be asking yourself why on earth you’d want to us mashed avocado instead of traditional mayo in a chicken salad recipe. Glad you asked 😉
- Avocados have the added benefits of dietary fiber, and mayo has no fiber
- Avocados are an unprocessed and functional food, which means you are eating the whole thing, and not just parts of it
- Avocados contain no refined fats, most mayos contain refined oils
- Avocados are super natural (not supernatural, but almost!). Nothing added to it, avocados are purely natural
- If you have egg and soy allergies, finding good mayo without these ingredients is hard. But you can avoid allergens by using avocado instead of mayo
Avocado Chicken Salad (Mayo Free)
Gluten free, Paleo; Free of: dairy, eggs, soy, nuts
- 1/2 medium avocado
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1-2 teaspoons course brown mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 dash Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup cooked chicken breast chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped vegetables of choice I used chopped radishes, carrots, and purple cabbage in mine
- In a small bowl, mash the avocado with the lime juice and mix in the brown mustard, garlic powder, and salt and pepper.
- Mix in the chopped chicken breast and chopped veggies.
- Serve on your favorite bread, crackers, or vegetables.
Food allergy mom and healthy living blogger! Sarah is also an ACSM Certified Personal Trainer, ACE Certified Health Coach, and an ACE Certified Fitness Nutrition Specialist