Crush your chocolate cravings the healthy way with these Paleo Double Chocolate Mini Muffins, they are dairy free and egg free!
This recipe is adapted from a recipe from the blog Paleo Spirit, but I made these ones egg-free and reduced the oil and made a few other changes to the recipe.
These Double Chocolate Mini Muffins are moist and good for any chocolate craving, but are still very healthy and sweetened with fruit! You can make these in an 8×8-inch pan, but the mini muffin size makes portion control much easier.
These are not super sweet; if you have a strong sweet tooth, try adding some Stevia or honey to the recipe. I have several brownie recipes I have made and plan to make. I am still working on some healthy frosting recipes, too, so stay tuned for more brownie recipes with extras…
- 1 cup pitted dates pitted prunes will work too
- 1 cup applesauce or 1-2 mashed bananas
- 3 Tbsp. sunflower seed butter or other nut or seed butter of choice
- 3 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. ground flaxseed or ground chia seed
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 cup strong coffee
- 2/3 cup chocolate chips
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 ˚ F and spray a mini muffin pan with oil.
- Put the dates and the applesauce (or banana) into a food processor and process until pureed. Add in the sunbutter, coconut oil, vanilla, and salt and process again until well blended.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Add in the pureed fruit and mix together with a hand blender. Slowly add in the brewed coffee while blending until incorporated. Stir in the chocolate chips if using.
- Fill the mini muffin cups full (there is no need for liners with these). The batter is quite thick, so you can roll into balls and flatten into the muffin cups if you like.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Let cool for a bit before removing from the pan.
You can cook the batter in an 8x8” pan instead; these will cook for @ 35 minutes at 350˚ F. These are very soft inside, but they set up well after they cool sufficiently.