Make this easy gluten free and dairy free french onion dip for your next party or gathering! This recipe comes together quickly (no cooking onions) and is made without cashews. This is so creamy and delicious served with your favorite chips and veggies.
If you’re prepping for a party and need something allergy friendly to make that everyone can enjoy, our dairy free French onion dip is a great recipe for your next gathering!
Our version of the classic French onion dip doesn’t use a seasoning packet and is thick and creamy, perfect for dipping your favorite crackers, Dang Thai rice chips, or sliced veggies.
The best part about this dairy free dip? It’s made without cashews and you don’t have to cook the onions so it’s quick and easy to make!
- Dairy free
- Gluten free
- Tree nut free (except for coconut)
- Peanut free
- Sesame free
How to make dairy free french onion dip
Our dairy free french onion dip is really easy to make, here are the few steps to make this (the full recipe card is at the end of the post, this is just an overview of the steps):
- Cream the dairy free cream cheese first. Don’t skip this or your dip won’t be smooth. Use a hand blender to blend the cream cheese until it is softened a bit.
- Blend in 1/2 the mayo (or dairy free sour cream). Once that’s smooth, blend in the other half of the mayo (or sour cream).
- Blend in the dairy free parmesan cheese and the seasonings.
- Chill for 2 hours at least to help soften the dried onions and thicken the dip.
We tried this recipe a few times with different ingredients, and the first time I made this I caramelized onions for this dip. It was yummy, but it had an odd texture and the dairy free cream cheese tried to separate as it sat in the fridge. So we scrapped that idea and stuck with the minced dried onion instead.
Using the dried minced onions in this recipe versus caramelized onions helps to save some time and the dip still tastes amazing! It’s like using the french onion soup packets except our dip doesn’t have caramel coloring or soy sauce.
Dairy free cream cheese: we used the Violife brand of dairy free cream cheese, but you can use any brand of dairy free cream cheese that you like and that fits your allergies.
Mayo: we used egg free and soy free mayo in this recipe because we couldn’t find a good tasting dairy free sour cream locally. You can use dairy free sour cream if you can find it (we prefer Follow Your Heart brand), but this dip still tastes great made with allergy friendly mayo.
Smoked salt: you can use regular salt in this recipe, but we love the flavor smoked salt adds to our food. It’s a great (and natural) way to add a hint of smoke flavor to recipes.
What to serve with this french onion dip
Here are our favorite things to serve with our allergy friendly dip!
- Dang rice chips (the original or Sriracha taste the best with our dip)
- Homemade crackers
- Potato chips
- Sliced veggies
- Fresh or grilled shishito peppers (so yummy!)
Dang Foods Thai Rice Chips
If you’re looking for some unique and gluten free dippers to go with our dairy free dip, check out the Dang Foods Thai Rice Chips!
The Dang Thai rice chips are like mini rice cakes (only better) and are inspired by the northern Thai street food khao taen, sweet and crispy fried rice cakes.
Whether you want sweet or savory flavors, they’ve got both! Their flavors include Sriracha and Toasted Sesame (we used the original ones with our dip). The Toasted Coconut flavor is lightly sweet and makes a great sweet snack that’s not too sugary.
The Dang thai rice chips are non-GMO, gluten free, soy free, free of preservatives, and have 25% less fat than potato chips. All the flavors (except Aged Cheddar) are also dairy free!
Check out our other dairy free dip recipes:
Easy Dairy Free French Onion Dip (Gluten Free)
- 1 container (7 to 8 ounces) dairy free cream cheese (Violife is 7 oz, Daiya is 8 oz)
- ⅓ cup egg free soy free mayo (or dairy free sour cream if you have access to it)*
- 2 tablespoons finely grated dairy free parmesan cheese (I used the Violife block parmesan that I grated myself)
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onions
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon smoked salt (or regular salt)
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon coconut aminos, optional (if you want to add a little brown/caramel color to the dip)
- Chopped chives, for garnish
- In a medium bowl, use an hand mixer to cream the dairy free cream cheese until soft.
- Mix in half the mayo (or sour cream) until smooth, then mix in the other half of the mayo (or sour cream). Mixing this in parts helps to keep things smooth!
- Mix in the finely grated dairy free parmesan, the dried onions, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and the coconut aminos (if using) and mix again until blended and smooth.
- Chill in the fridge until this sets up, for at least 1-2 hours.
- Serve with your favorite chips, store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Sarah Jane Parker is the founder, recipe creator, and photographer behind The Fit Cookie. She’s a food allergy mom and healthy living blogger based in Wyoming. Sarah is also an ACSM Certified Personal Trainer, ACE Certified Health Coach, Revolution Running certified running coach, and an ACE Certified Fitness Nutrition Specialist