These fun layered Strawberry Chocolate SunButter Cups are peanut free and dairy free! This dairy free candy has a strawberry white chocolate layer on the bottom with SunButter filling and a layer of allergy friendly chocolate on top. These are also gluten free and tree nut free!
Our longtime readers can attest that we have a love of freeze dried strawberries and how delicious they are mixed with dairy free chocolate. Added to SunButter cups, it adds a fruity PB&J taste and a beautiful layered look!
These SunButter cups are a great alternative to peanut butter cups and are perfect for spring and summer with real strawberry flavor. If you’re a fan of Reese’s peanut butter cups but have food allergies, you’ll love these ones.
These homemade chocolates aren’t too hard to make and you can switch up the ingredients a bit for different variations. We also included options for making these lower in sugar as well.
- Dairy free
- Gluten free
- Peanut free
- Tree nut free
How to make strawberry chocolate SunButter cups
Here are the steps to make these peanut free “peanut butter” cups. This is just an overview of the steps, the full recipe card is at the end of the post.
- Powder the freeze dried strawberries (either with a food processor or a mortar and pestle).
- Sift out the large pieces of strawberry to leave a fine strawberry powder. Set aside.
- Melt the white chocolate.
- Mix the strawberry powder with the white chocolate and scoop about 1-2 teaspoons into the bottom of a silicone mini muffin pan. Let the strawberry chocolate set at room temperature.
- While the strawberry chocolate sets, mix the SunButter filling by creaming together the SunButter, dairy free butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla. It will create a thick dough.
- Once the strawberry chocolate is set, form the SunButter dough into discs that are slightly smaller than the diameter of the muffin cups. We made our SunButter discs a little bit thin, but you can make these as thick as you’d like it you want more filling than we have in the photos.
- Place the SunButter discs on the strawberry white chocolate, then top with the melted semi-sweet or rice milk chocolate.
- Allow to set at room temperature until firm, then remove from the silicone pan and store in an airtight container at room temperature.
SunButter: we used the SunButter brand creamy SunButter in this recipe, but if you want a bit of crunch, you can use the crunchy SunButter for some added texture (or a mix of crunchy and creamy).
Freeze dried strawberries: there are a lot of different brands of freeze dried strawberries, just look for brands that are not made in facilities with your allergens since some brands are processed in facilities with nuts, dairy, etc. We used a local store brand for our freeze dried strawberries.
Allergy friendly chocolate:
- Enjoy Life Foods ricemilk chocolate chips (these are delicious if you want a milk chocolate vs a semi-sweet chocolate in this recipe)
- Nestle Simply Delicious semi-sweet chocolate chips (these also have a great taste and texture)
- Enjoy Life Foods semi-sweet chocolate chips (also available in dark chocolate)
- Pascha semi-sweet chocolate chips (also available in bittersweet chocolate)
Dairy Free white chocolate options:
- Great Value allergy friendly white chocolate chips (these are available at our local Walmart so we use these ones the most).
- Enjoy Life mini white chocolate chips (these are great, but no stores in our area carry them yet).
- Nestle Simply Delicious white chocolate chips (we didn’t like the taste or texture of these as much as the Great Value ones).
- Pascha white chocolate chips
- No Whey white chocolate bars
If you want to have more of a PB&J vibe, use the strawberry white chocolate on both the bottom and top of the SunButter cups. You’ll just need to double the strawberry white chocolate in this recipe.
Or if you’re a fan of white chocolate, you can do a top layer of white chocolate instead of semi-sweet chocolate, or flip it and have the strawberry layer on top and the chocolate or white chocolate layer on the bottom.
This also works with other types of freeze dried fruit besides strawberry. We’ve made some peach mango white chocolate that would also be delicious in this recipe. Have some fun experimenting with different fruits!
How to make these SunButter cups low sugar
If you want to make these strawberry SunButter cups low in sugar, you can use sugar free chocolate in this recipe and the no sugar added SunButter.
These swaps won’t make these completely sugar free, but rather low in sugar. The only obstacle to making this recipe low sugar this is that I haven’t yet found a sugar free white chocolate that is allergy friendly or dairy free.
There are some options for sugar free semi-sweet chocolate (such as Bake Believe), but no dairy free white chocolate yet. You can create these with a sugar free chocolate layer and the regular strawberry white chocolate layer to keep these dairy free and slightly lower in sugar.
Check out our other dairy free candy recipes:
- Chocolate Almond Butter Cups
- Gluten Free Dairy Free Oreo Truffles
- Dairy Free Homemade Peppermint Patties
- Dairy Free Easy Caramel Sauce
Dairy Free Strawberry Chocolate SunButter Cups
- ½ cup freeze dried strawberries (you need 1½ teaspoons freeze dried strawberry powder from this)
- ⅓ cup dairy free white chocolate melted
- ¼ cup creamy SunButter
- 1 Tablespoon dairy free butter, softened
- 3 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup allergy friendly semi-sweet chocolate chips (or rice milk chocolate)
- Using a food processor or a mortar and pestle, grind the freeze dried strawberries into powder.
- Sift the strawberry powder to remove any large pieces. Set aside.
- Melt the dairy free white chocolate either in the microwave (at 30 second intervals) or in a double boiler.
- Mix 1-1/2 teaspoons strawberry powder into the white chocolate and scoop about 1-2 teaspoons of the strawberry white chocolate into the bottom of a silicone mini muffin pan.
- Allow the strawberry chocolate to set up either at room temperature or in the fridge.
- While the bottom layer is setting up, mix the SunButter, dairy free butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla until a thick dough forms.
- Form discs with the SunButter mixture (as thick or as thin as you like), and place on the strawberry chocolate.
- Melt the semi-sweet or dairy free rice milk chocolate and pour over the SunButter discs.
- Allow to set up at room temperature or in the fridge. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
Sarah Jane Parker is the founder, recipe creator, and photographer behind The Fit Cookie. She’s a food allergy mom and healthy living blogger based in Wyoming. Sarah is also an ACSM Certified Personal Trainer, ACE Certified Health Coach, Revolution Running certified running coach, and an ACE Certified Fitness Nutrition Specialist