Want a healthy way to get your peanut-butter/chocolate fix without caving in to a Reese’s? These Chocolate Nut-Butter Protein Balls are a super-easy, high-protein snack that can satisfy your chocolate cravings in a pinch.
I adapted this recipe from Jessica at Desserts with Benefits recipe for Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Balls. I made a few alterations to the recipe (I was out of a few things). Next time I make these I want to make a lower sugar version using stevia or a mix of stevia and honey or agave. In spite of the substitutions I made to the recipe, these still turned out delicious! Very yummy…very close to a dessert but still healthy.
- 4-6 100% fruit leather strips
- 10-15 dried apricots
- 1/2 cup chopped chocolate or chocolate chips*
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Cut the fruit leather into strips. I used fruit leather that is made into strips for pulling apart, but you can cut your strips. Make them as long or as short as you like!
- Arrange the fruit leather strips how you want. You can use 3 pieces for 6-leggedbugs, or 4 pieces for 8 legged spiders.
- Overlap the fruit leather pieces in the middle and press the middle with your fingers to smoosh the fruit leather so it holds together.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt your chopped chocolate or chocolate chips in the microwave by heating for 30 seconds at a time and stirring in between until all the chocolate is melted.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon coconut oil to help thin the chocolate a bit to aid in dipping.
- Dip apricots in chocolate and place on top of the fruit leather legs.
- Decorate with mini chocolate chip eyes or raisins.
- Allow to cool at room temp or in the fridge until the chocolate is set. Enjoy!
- *For homemade dark chocolate, check out my recipe: http://thefitcookie.com/2012/05/10/guilt-free-dark-chocolate-bars/